Saturday, February 28, 2009

It’s Gone and It’s not Coming Back

This plant was my favorite – I grew it from a couple of branches I snapped from my mom’s plant, and it turned into a luscious beauty with green striped foliage in about a year. It was a happy and low-maintenance plant – a little bit of water once a week, and it flourished in my sunny living room for four years.

It suffered significantly this summer while I was gone for three months. I think the person who took care of my plants over-watered it, and when I returned, 85% of the leaves were dead. I carefully trimmed the dead branches and nursed it back to health over the next four months.

When I left for Christmas break, someone else took care of the plants, and my poor wounded one did not take it well. By the time I returned, its leaves were shriveled up and dry. I tried my best to revive it, but it was too late – it had suffered irreversible damage, and has not grown a new leaf since early January. It looks so sad, yet I can't bring myself to throw it out.

A couple of years ago, I cut a couple of branches from this plant and gave them to my sister. Those branches have turned into a full-grown beauty mine once was! I asked that she do the same for me, so I can have a replacement – it’s a circle of life, in a way…

5 comments:

  1. That's so sad. However I would suggest not throwing it out just yet. Keep up maintenance (i.e. watering and trimming). It is not yet growing season, but may still sprout out when growing season starts. Plants inside go through cycles, also, so I would wait until sometime late spring or summer before I pronounce it truly dead. Just a chance.
    http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
    http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that poor plant has been through so much! I think Kayz might be right, I still see some green so it might still come back. I've got a black thumb though so don't go by what I say, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no green thumb when it comes to houseplants, so I can't offer any advice. I hope it comes back to life, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hang in there, I brought a Shamrock plant back from the brink several times...keep up the life support a little longer!

    www.suesutton.blogspot.com
    www.allofasutton.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about your plant..but is nice you can get new cutting from you Sister. I have not luck with indoor plants...I can kill silk plants. It if something outside I can get a pencil to sprout leaves and bloom...Don't understand why I can't get the indoor ones to thrive...

    ReplyDelete