Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Guacamole

As you may have guessed, avocado is possibly my favorite fruit (technically speaking – I blogged about it a while back), and I can never get sick of this homemade guacamole recipe I made up by getting a few ideas here and there. I introduced Husband to avocadoes when we were dating (of course, he knew what it was, but never thought of putting it on sandwiches, wraps and salads, like I did – now he is ready to put it on anything and everything!). After I made guacamole for him once, every time I would visit him, he’d have three or four avocadoes sitting on the table. I quickly caught on that he had bought them so that I could make him some guacamole. Then, when we were visiting his family, he had bought the ingredients so that I could make it while we were there. One evening, I made it, put it on the table, and two minutes later he, his brother and his father surrounded the bowl and didn’t even look up or talk until there was nothing left. His brother said, “That made me take a break from my beer!” If you know anything about my brother-in-law, he rarely lets anything come between him and his beer!

Now that I hyped it up enough, you will have to let me know if it lives up to your expectations! :)

Ingredients
3 avocados
1 fresh tomato, chopped
¼ bell pepper, cubed small
Green onions (2-3 stalks), chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 fresh lime or lemon (if you have a citrus juicer, use the pulp as well. Adjust the amount of juice up or down based on how much you like citrus flavor.)
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, crushed
1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped in thin rings (canned or fresh; if you go with fresh ones, use the seeds too – that’s where all the heat is!)
2 table spoons sour cream
chili powder, cayenne pepper powder and salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Cut avocados in half; remove the pits and scoop out the flesh; save the skin if desired and use them later for serving (see below). Combine the flesh of avocados, salt, pepper and citrus juice (and pulp, if applicable) in a bowl and use a fork to blend together.

Add the rest of the ingredients; mix gently but thoroughly. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.

Serve with tortilla chips or soft flour tortillas. As shown in the picture, I saved the avocado skinsand used them as little bowls – it’s a cute way to serve guacamole at a house party!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe...I just started eating guacamole and wanted a good recipe...I'll have to give this one a try. While living in TX, I learned how to make authentic salsa in a traditional mocahete. I don't use it to make mine but it is still pretty yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks soooo good. I'm making it this weekend! My avocados should be ripe by then!

    P.S. I love the way you hyped about the avocado, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running to the store right now, I need my avo fix!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! You must have read my mind, I've been looking for a good one for guacamole. I love that you aren't afraid to spice things up ~ woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe...will have to try it out and be sure to give it to my Daughter she really loves avocados

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will all have to let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! I still use the lazy girl's guacamole recipe. I'll have to try this one, as a lot of those ingredients tend to end up growing in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried it Janna, just now for lunch and it is wonderful! We all really enjoyed it, thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete