Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Spicy Red Lentil and Chicken Chili

I adopted this wonderful recipe from Wegmans (if you’ve never heard of Wegmans, check back - it deserves a post of its own, and I’ve got one planned!). The original recipe is vegetarian; I’ve added chicken to it, but it’s optional.

This soup is perfect for the winter, and I love to serve it with a wrap or sandwich for lunch or dinner.


Ingredients (makes 7 cups)

1 cup red lentils
1 boneless skinless chicken breast and 4 cups broth resulting from cooking the chicken
4 cups + 2 tbsp water, divided2 tbsp butter1/2 cup onion, peeled, 1/4-inch dice1/4 cup (about 1 stalk) celery, trimmed, 1/4-inch dice2 tbsp fresh garlic, chopped1 medium (about 1/2 lb) tomato, cored, 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)1 tbsp Tabasco sauce1/8 tsp turmeric1/8 tsp cumin1/8 tsp cayenne pepper1 tsp sea salt1/2 tsp black pepper1/8 tsp chili powder2 tbsp cornstarch1/4 cup finely diced sweet green pepperSalt to taste

Preparation

1. Boil the chicken breast in 4 cups of water until chicken is cooked. Cool the chicken and cube it. Set chicken aside and save the broth.

2. Bring lentils and 2 cups water to boil on HIGH; turn off heat. Remove half the lentils and liquid; place in food processor or blender and puree, about 1 min.

3. Melt butter in stockpot on MEDIUM-LOW. Add onions; cook, stirring, about 2 min, until soft but not browned. Add celery and garlic; cook, stirring, 5 min, until soft but not browned. Add tomato; cook 5 min.

4. Add the 4 cups of saved chicken broth, Tabasco, turmeric, cumin, cayenne pepper, sea salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Bring to simmer.

5. Add reserved whole and pureed lentils plus liquid, and cubed chicken breast. Cook about 15 min, until lentils are tender.

6. Combine cornstarch and remaining 2 Tbsp water in small bowl. Bring soup to boil; add cornstarch/water mixture. Stir 30 seconds to thicken slightly. Turn off heat; add green peppers. Season to taste with salt.

Tip: For a milder flavor, just use less Tabasco sauce. Enjoy it on a cold winter day!

5 comments:

  1. Nice Stuff!

    Commendable Blog indeed!

    Dear Blogger, need your valuable feedback for:

    www.octandigital.com

    Regards,
    Mehta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to "meet" you. Thanks for posting in the forums. I try not to post and promote my etsy shop all the time. I agree, I think readers would get tired of reading my self advertising. I have two blogs for different voices. Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey janna. i'll have to try that soup... looks good. on my recent trip to visit family in pennsylvania, we made a special trip to wegmans just to see it (we needed no groceries) and have lunch. awesome store! yes, deserves a post of its own. pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're not afraid to jazz things up w/ a bit of cayenne pepper!

    I'm not familiar w/ Wegman's, but I'm not going to cheat and click on the link ~ I will wait for your post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the taste of cayenne--in moderation at least.

    ReplyDelete