Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Tribute to the World’s Greatest Cat

Meet Mika – the best kitty to ever live. My mom got her for us when I was 10, and it was one of the most memorable days in my life. Mika did not have a name for a while, because we were inexperienced with pets and weren’t sure if she was a girl or a boy. When we finally figured out she was a girl cat, we named her Mika.

She was an extraordinary and mischievous kitty. At just a few months old, when nobody was home, she somehow managed to fall out of a window that was on the 6th floor of our apartment building (perhaps chasing after a bird?). We were lucky to find her, brought her back home and never left windows open wide enough for her to repeat the trip. She fully recovered and lived the rest of her life without major incidents.

She was full of personality, liked to chase large dogs outside and never let you forget who was in charge in our house. She liked things her way, and we always gave in. She quickly became a member of our family, and even my mom, who showed no visible signs of affection and pretended to not care much for Mika, secretly loved her to death.

Eventually, Mika’s age got the best of her; she barely ate or moved, sleeping all day on the couch. A year ago this month, at almost 17 years old, Mika was put to sleep. I miss her so much and think of her every day. She was and always will be the World’s Greatest Cat.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! Mika reminds me of my childhood cat, I miss her too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty! It is so hard losing a pet - especially one you love so much. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous feline ~ you can tell she had lots of personality by the photo.

    ReplyDelete