Monday, March 23, 2009

Are my Taste Buds on Vacation?

I used to enjoy a glass of wine now and then with dinner. Over the years, we found a few wonderful reds and whites that we particularly enjoyed.

Recently I took a sip of a nice Cabernet at dinner, and it didn’t taste good. We tried another one next time – the same thing. I struggled through the first few sips, then gave up altogether. As of yet, I have not been able to enjoy a glass of wine, red or white - they all taste acidic, even the few favorites that we’ve enjoyed for years.

Not that I am particularly hurting or anything – I’m more curious as to why I am unable to drink wine anymore. I think my taste buds went on a very long vacation and did not take me along. :) Do you have any idea what’s wrong?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm ... curious. I don't have many ideas but have you lost taste or appetite for anything else. Some medical issues can have that effect. Pregnant? ha-ha ;)

    I have never really developed a taste for wine. Hubby and I enjoy sweet dessert wines (Riesling) now and then. I don't like "dry." The strong tannins just don't do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Janna, LOL I had the same thought "pregnant"? I'm not much of a wine drinker myself, I tend to like mixed drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same problem! I just had a baby boy on Halloween, and since then I have not been able to enjoy any wine except strawberry flavored wine, which is barely wine at all. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere that as we grow older, our sense of taste isn't what it may of been. Kids have more taste buds than adults. Maybe that is why I like onions now, but never did before my 30's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you taking more vitamins than before..that can change the taste of certain things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you were the one who told me once that our taste buds change every so often? Maybe they are going through a phase :P. -- Samar

    ReplyDelete