Thursday, March 5, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Apples and Brie Cheese Panini

If you are a brie cheese lover, I might just have the most delicious recipe for you! There is a restaurant nearby that serves the most delicious apples and brie cheese pizza. It sounds weird, but trust me – it is flavorful and absolutely scrumptious! I don’t get anything other than this pizza when we go there.

Last time we were there, we talked about how good this pizza is, and how much we’re going to miss it when we move. And then it dawned on me: I can turn it into a panini and have it in the comfort of our own home! That is exactly what I did, and so far I’ve had one of these at least twice a week for several weeks in a row.

Ingredients (exact amounts will depend on the size of your bread slices)
ricotta cheese
brie cheese, sliced
Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
white bread (focaccia or French baguette, or any other kind)
white truffle oil (don’t be thrown off by this – this is simply white truffle-scented olive oil available at most grocery stores)

Preparation
Brush a very thin layer of white truffle oil on the top and bottom halves of the baguette (or whatever bread you are using), followed by a thin layer of ricotta cheese in each half.

On the bottom half only, arrange two layers of thinly sliced Granny Smith apples on top of the ricotta cheese, followed by one or two layers of brie cheese slices (depending on how much cheese you like). Cover with top of the baguette.

Grill the panini on low for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

If you do not have a panini maker, you can probably use the oven – without covering the panini with baguette top, place both halves on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese is melted. Then cover with top of the baguette and serve!

7 comments:

  1. I have to say that I look forward to your Thursday recipes :)

    I bet this one is really delicious. I love to eat slices of Granny smith apples w/ shaved parmesan cheese on them. I love how you adapted this recipe at home!

    p.s. I bet you won't have any problems finding interesting food like this in NYC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well so far I've made two or your recipes Janna and it looks like I'll be making another! I love brea and apples together, can't wait to try this one, thanks for another wonderful recipe.

    P.S. I made your Chicken with mushroom Madeira sauce on Monday and it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds incredible! Great picture, too. Can you just include one with my next jewelry order. ;) ha-ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Bluest Ocean Bracelet! Thanks for listing your promotion on this week's Etsy Deals Post. I'm giving away some free add space in NEXT week's post (image of any one item in your shop, linked to your home page) if you're interested. You can enter the drawing at

    http://the6oclockstitch.blogspot.com/2009/03/consignment-treasures-special-giveaway.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is a good thing tomorrow is Friday and I have to go grocery shopping....know what I am having for lunch...Yummy can't wait till lunch now...Thanks for sharing this..you rock:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're making me hungry!!! :q'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this for lunch and it was so good! My husband loved it and wants it again. The white truffle oil is amazing and so flavorful. Thanks Janna for another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete