Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Spicy White Turkey Chili Soup

If you didn’t get your chili fill with the two recipes I previously posted – the regular chili and spicy red lentil and chicken chili – here is another one of my favorites! I figured I can post it while it’s still semi-cold some places, despite the official season change to spring.

I discovered this recipe on Wegmans.com and have made it multiple times in the winter! It is flavorful and easy to make. Enjoy it for lunch with a small side salad or half a sandwich.

Makes 15 cups
Preparation time: 40 minutes

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
4 celery stalks, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3/4 cup flour
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
64 oz chicken stock
1 medium (about 1/2 lb) sweet red pepper, diced small
2 cans (15.5 oz ea) Cannellini Beans (or any other beans, as desired)
1 medium (about 1/2 lb) green pepper, diced small
1 cup (6 oz) cooked turkey or turkey off-the-bone, diced small (I usually use smoked or honey smoked turkey cold cuts, cut small)
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
1. Melt butter and olive oil in large stockpot on medium, until oil/butter mixture faintly smokes. Add celery and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4-5 min, until translucent but not brown. Stir in flour, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Cook 1 min, stirring continuously.

2. Add stock. Bring to simmer; simmer 10 min. Add Cannellini beans, peppers, turkey, and heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper; simmer 2 to 3 min until heated through. Ladle into warmed bowls.

Add croutons and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I'm printing this one out to show Chris. He was just saying today that we need to eat more beads, LOL :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I said beads,I meant beans! okay, so you know what's on my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have got me so intrigued by this Wegman's place . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete