Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tuesday Irreplaceables – Fresh Flowers!

I try to have fresh flowers at home year-round. They don’t need to be elaborate – in fact, my great-grandmother loved wild flowers best, and I’ve always liked the simpler kind myself. You can buy a modest bouquet of mums or several branches of orchids for $4 or less, and they will last for weeks.

Recession or not, this investment is well worth it for me – fresh flowers make our home cozy and brighten my day every time I lay my eye on them! There is something so moving in their subtle beauty. I don’t spend hours arranging the flowers in vases; I like the slightly disorganized free-falling look of simple bouquets. Some day, I’d love to put fresh flowers in every room!

Today we went to Trader Joe’s. The staff placed baskets full of fresh daffodil bunches at every register – how pretty they looked - so delicate, so bright yellow! When we were checking out, I noticed that some of the flowers were starting to wilt as the baskets had no water in them. (I understand why – the daffodils would open up as soon as you put them in water). I bought a bunch right away (10 prettiest buds for only $1.29) and told Husband that I felt bad and wished I could buy them all before the wilted away! A few hours after I brought them home, the buds opened up, and now I have the most beautiful spring bouquet on our coffee table right now.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to see first flower here... there still have a lot of snow :o)

    By the way, I add you on my twitter so you'll see me in followers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I love fresh flowers in the house. I haven't bought any for a while. Thanks for the reminder -- I'll get some next time I'm out. Maybe that will help with my winter doldrums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fresh flowers out of my garden, my roses should be blooming soon. Trader Joe's is a great place to buy flowers, they do have the best prices on them.

    I like putting fresh flowers in the bathroom, they brighten the room as well as making it smell good, I do have 3 boys you know, LOL.

    ReplyDelete