Sunday, March 29, 2009

Writing with Style

As a reader, writer and communicator, I enjoy clear, concise and grammatically correct written correspondence, be it a casual e-mail, a research piece for a client or a term paper.

My favorite writing reference is Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style. It reviews the basic principles of the English language in only 80 pages. This succinct guide is an excellent timeless reference; I highly recommend it regardless of your age, profession or communication style. The five sections of the guide are:

1. Elementary Rules of Usage
2. Elementary Principles of Composition
3. A Few Matters of Form
4. Words and Expressions Commonly Misused
5. An Approach to Style

It has helped me better express myself. I pick it up once in a while to refresh my memory and polish my writing.

The edition pictured here is especially fantastic because its illustrator Maira Kalman is my all-time favorite artist. You can purchase a regular paperback edition for half the price.

2 comments:

  1. excellent! I'm going to get a copy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books and reference books are a particular must have for me. I'll be sure to get this one too!

    ReplyDelete