Monday, April 6, 2009

Come to the Edge

The day I started my first “real” job, I read a poem my boss had copied to his white board. The poem stayed on the board for over a year; it very much captured his leadership style, and I was inspired to do bigger and greater things every time I read it. I have yet to find a more inspirational piece expressed so eloquently in just six lines. The other day, I remembered it and wanted to share it with you.

While some sources attribute this poem to Guillaume Apollinaire, others claim that Christopher Logue wrote it about Appollinaire. While it’s hard to know for sure, here it is!

Come to the Edge

Come to the edge, he said.

They said: We are afraid.

Come to the edge, he said.

They came,
He pushed them,
and they flew.

4 comments:

  1. Your boss wrote this on his whiteboard? Very inspiring quote. I feel he must be a good boss (hope I'm right). lol

    Rheea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote for parenting, too. Trust and security in a relationship(between parent and child) produce the security needed to explore, take risks, and grow.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rheea, he was the best boss I have ever had! Holly, that is an excellent point, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simply stated, yet so powerful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete