Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunday Winnables – Share Your Best Job Interview Story!

A few years ago when we were looking to fill an opening in my department, I had the opportunity to interview a dozen candidates. When you interview 10 people a day, after a while all candidates and their answers start to blend together. I asked everyone the same set of questions, so that it would be easier for me to remember who said what. Here is what one candidate said while answering my questions:

My question: “Would you have a problem with working for someone like me?”
His answer: “No, I don’t think so. There doesn’t seem to be anything physically or mentally wrong with you.”

I kid you not – this was his answer, verbatim! He was serious, too. Can you believe it?! I nearly fell off my chair trying not to laugh. Anything to make yourself memorable, I suppose… I know people are nervous during interviews and all, but still! The best (or maybe worst) part? We ended up hiring him…

Another good interview story has to do with a question a classmate of mine was asked during an interview for an internship:

“What is the biggest animal you can kill with your bare hands?”

Really? Was the interviewee supposed to answer THAT?!

Now it’s your turn – share the most outrageous interview story you’ve ever heard for a chance to win a $10 gift certificate to my shop!

Here is what to do to enter:

1. Simply leave a comment and share your interview story.

2. Be sure to leave your name and e-mail address right in the comments section, so that I have a way to get in touch with you.

That's it! I will choose the best answer, and that person will receive a $10 gift certificate to my Etsy shop! This contest will be open for two weeks; the winner will be announced on April 26, 2009. One entry per person only. I am looking forward to your stories!

2 comments:

  1. If you have one of your own funny interview stories you can join ICT's "Funniest Interview Video Contest" and you may win a Grand Prize of $1,000

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually interviewed for a position where the man I'd be working for told me that if I wanted the job, I would have to be prepared for him to harrass me, because he likes to "compliment" women on their looks. I said "no thanks" and ended the interview.

    Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete