Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Chicken Salad

There are so many ways to make chicken salad! Husband can eat chicken salad three times a day – that’s how much he loves it. The first time I made it, I had a hard time choosing one. Husband has deemed the version below to be the best one out there!

Ingredients
1 medium rotisserie chicken
3 hard-boiled eggs
1 cup toasted pecans
1-2 cups mayonnaise
1 12-oz jar sweet relish
1 small granny smith apple
Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
Pick the meat off the rotisserie chicken and cut into small cubes. I usually throw away the skin as it is high in cholesterol.

Chop eggs into medium cubes and an apple into small cubes. If you use halved pecans, cut them into smaller pieces.

Combine all ingredients in a big bowl; depending on how moist the chicken is, you may need to adjust the amount of mayo (I usually start with one cup, and add a little more if needed). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve in a sandwich or a wrap! I use pumpernickel bread, sliced tomatoes and lettuce to make the most delicious sandwiches that make a great lunch.

5 comments:

  1. oooh, that's something i haven't made in awhile. i'm gonna have to try your recipe. i usually stick to mayonnaise, pecans, and dried cranberries in mine. never thought of adding eggs or relish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm w/ husband on this one :)

    This sounds like a great way to make chicken salad. Usually I mix it w/ mayo, celery, and add some freshly squeezed lemon juice (or lemon pepper). It's great on crackers that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I am hungry now looking at this! I must make it now! I have all the ingredients except the pecans. My husband does not like nuts in his salad anyway. I have chicking in the freezer so now I have to thaw it and make some chicken salad tonight. :) It is so hot outside that we need some cold recipes to eat at the beach. This is perfect. Beach tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken salad and I've never made it before so I'll have to try this, thanks for sharing another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete