Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sunday Unreasonables – “The Volume Is at the Maximum”

The other day I call my insurance company’s customer service number listed on the front of my insurance card. Logical, right? Wrong! The first message I get is, “If you are a policy holder, please dial this other 10-digit number for customer service.” I hang up and dial this other number. Then, using the 10 number keys on my phone, I enter my account number, date of birth, my favorite color and what I had for breakfast that morning, and then I am on hold for a while – a long while. I finally get a live person, and I am prepared to repeat my account number, date of birth, my favorite color and what I had for breakfast that morning once again. Instead, she asks me something, but the problem is, I can’t hear her. I quickly turn the volume up on my phone as high as it will go. Finally, I can hear her, but barely.

“How may I help you today?”
“Hi, I’d like to know how to check whether Doctor X is in the network.”
“…………………..” (Inaudible)
“I am sorry, if you would speak a bit louder, I’d appreciate it – I can barely hear you.”
“………………….” (Inaudible)
“Miss, I almost cannot hear you. Do you mind speaking up just a little?”
“……………can’t…………………………….. The volume on my headset is at the maximum.”

Well, let’s see, I’ve already upped the volume on my phone, and I am listening as hard as I can. The volume is at the maximum on her end – I get that, but why couldn’t the rep speak up? That would be an easy low-tech fix – almost too easy!

I thought customer service was supposed to solve problems and help customers, not explain the limitations of their technology...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so annoying! And you can bet she was wearing some kind of headset with a little wire mic that was probably tucked way under her neck or as far away from her mouth as possible.

    Customer service must be such a hard field to work in. Those poor people have to put up with all of us! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just thinking of how many times i've been in a similar situation raises my blood pressure! my husband swears that all you have to do when you get an automated answering system is not say anything and eventually you'll get a human.

    ReplyDelete