Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday Edibles – Eggs with Tomato, Chives and Olive Oil Garnish

While watching 60 minutes a month or two ago, I saw a segment by Lesley Stahl on Alice Waters and her “Slow Foods” movement – a healthy alternative to fast food. Click here to read more about the segment and watch the video. At the end of the segment, Alice cooked a small but no doubt delectable breakfast for Lesley Stahl. It was simple enough for me to remember the ingredients (I think I remembered them, anyway), and I gave it a try the other day. The meal turned out fantastic! Here it is!

When asked why Alice Waters uses organic produce, she said it has more flavor. I never really thought of it that way, but that’s a good enough reason for me and Husband – we love to cook and eat well! While Harris Teeter’s organic produce is out of our price range, I found the finest regular tomatoes and fresh chives it had to offer, and they did not disappoint! I’ve never used fresh chives before, and have to say – LOVE them!

Ingredients
3 eggs (or as many as desired)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
1 small tomato, cubed
Salt, pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil

Preparation
Combine cubed tomatoes, chopped chives and a tablespoon of olive oil in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix.

Cook eggs sunny side up or over easy. (Alice Waters cooked her eggs over an open fire. Given the limitations of apartment cooking, a small frying pan and regular stove top did just fine for us. :))

Spread the tomato and chive mixture on top of the eggs before serving*. I served the eggs with sausage links. Husband made a strawberry banana papaya smoothie, which made for a wonderful breakfast!

*Alice served the entire ensemble on a piece of toast. I skipped it to meet Husband’s strict no-carb requirements, but feel free to add it back in!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful meal! There is nothing more fulfilling than growing, cooking and eating your own food. I'll be planting veggies next weekend ~ can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful, I could totally eat this right now! I love sausage links, eggs and smoothies, I think I'm drooling, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete