Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How Do You Like your Bananas?

I’ve never been a fan of bananas that are too ripe. As soon as they start getting brown spots on them, that’s way too ripe for my liking. Also, in addition to the change in the peel color, the more bananas ripen, the more starch is converted into plain sugars. The more brown spots, the more sugar a banana contains. If you’re conscious of how much sugar you eat or have dietary restrictions on sugar, you may want to keep that in mind.

Here is a little trick I learned recently, and have tested it out numerous times. Take your bananas apart when you get home from the store. If you leave them connected at the stem, they ripen faster.

4 comments:

  1. Great info Janna! LOL, I like my bananas to be firm and just ripe enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate brown spots on bananas...great information especially about pulling them apart...who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know about that trick ~ good one!

    ReplyDelete