Monday, June 15, 2009

jaC Procures at Trader Joe’s – Pea Shoots

Pea ShootsI spotted these Organic Pea Shoots at Trader Joe’s, and decided to give them a try. They are fantastic! Glad I discovered them.

They taste a little like sugar snap peas, so if you don’t like those, chances are you won’t like the shoots either. I just love sugar snap peas, so it was no surprise I found them delectable.

I substituted them for alfalfa or clover sprouts in wraps.  I also added them to our salad along with goat cheese, baby greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, pine nuts and homemade balsamic vinaigrette-type dressing. So good! I saw  two advantages Pea Shoots 1to using pea shoots over sprouts: they have more flavor than sprouts, and are easier to rinse. One criticism of sprouts is that you that you can’t easily wash them. I don’t even wash mine even though I know I should. These pea shoots are big and leafy enough that I was able to thoroughly wash them before using! I will definitely buy them again!

3 comments:

  1. ugh. i know they're probably good for me but i hate sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I'm no fan of sprouts either but I do love a good salad. Trader Joe's is a great place to get fresh veggies for sure.

    ReplyDelete