Friday, August 7, 2009

Big Dave's Big Gift - Cancer Awareness Items Available for Sale Now

Suzanne Turner, my next-door neighbor in NC and a dear friend, lost her son David Christopher Turner to lymphoma on June 6, 2009. He was only 26 years old.

Just a few days before he passed, Suzanne called me and asked if I would be interested in making cancer awareness jewelry for the David Turner Lymphoma Foundation that he had originally created to raise money for a stem cell transplant. When he learned that he would be unable to receive a transplant, David partnered with the American Cancer Society (http://www.cancer.org/) to form a program in his honor to raise money for people to receive stem cell transplants on behalf of the American Cancer Society and the David Turner Lymphoma Foundation. He worked non-stop to set up the foundation and implement his fundraising ideas until the very last day. Some of you got to know David Turner's story from this blog post back in April. Here are links where you can get more information:

To learn more about the Foundation's mission and David's fight, please visit http://bigdavesbiggift.org/.
To read David's story, please visit http://jacjewelry.net/Cancer_Awareness.html.
To watch a segment in which David was interviewed and recognized as "Person of the Week" on ABC 11 News, Raleigh, NC, please visit http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/video?id=6850291

Suzanne has resigned from her job as a school teacher to continue David’s vision. Cancer-themed items, including my bracelets pictured below, will be available at http://bigdavesbiggift.org/home.html soon. In the mean time, please visit the Cancer Awareness/Charity section of my Etsy shop to purchase cancer-themed items. All proceeds from Cancer Awareness items will go to the David Turner Lymphoma Foundation.


I am honored to work with Suzanne and David’s family and make sure his legacy and vision live on. He is an inspiration to all of us, and we will always remember his amazing strength and spirit!

The tags in the red pearl bracelet pictured above were hand-stamped by Monica of moonovermaize. She has generously hand-stamped many more message charms free of charge for cancer-themed earrings that will be available for sale soon. Thank you, Monica!

5 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Janna! Your work is beautiful and so heart felt...I'm going to have to purchase one of those lovely bracelets :)

    Thanks for including me in this great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so touched by what David started and Suzanne's courage and strength to continue his work, thank you Janna for sharing and introducing me to Suzanne, she is a remarkable woman! Your bracelets are beautiful and the photograph of all of them together is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear mine nearly everyday! I love the picture with all the different colored ones. It's a wonderful thing that you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice of you do this.. they are very pretty and like Stacy says, the picture with all the differents colors is so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you are doing is great! I am a 5 year cancer survivor and my Mom is a 6 year survivor. I also have many family members and close friends that are survivors or that we have lost to cancer.
    Not only are you carrying on Dave's memory and cause but, you are giving "HOPE" to all who are "living" with cancer and surviving.
    I started a "Relay for Life" group three years ago which is a 24 hour event that raises money for the American Cancer Society and it has been the best experience. I do understand your passion and I commend you for your actions. I want to say THANK YOU from myself and my family. Keep up the great work!

    PS... If you need supplies for your cause..I work for a wholesale bead and jewelry supply company. We have been in business for 40 years and I could help you save some money on the supplies. We carry plenty of silver toggles, findings, pearls,charms etc... check out our site at www.gemorama.com.
    You can also call at 781-878-4010 and ask for me (Suzanne) I'm always willing to help out! More moey could be going to your cause instead of to supplies!

    ReplyDelete