Thursday, September 17, 2009

Under my Umbrella

I like rain, unless I get caught in it without an umbrella, or get soaked because a car speeds through a gigantic puddle RIGHT next to me, which is exactly what happened the other day.

We had several days of rain last week, and I took this opportunity to study various umbrella styles. My teeny Sharper Image umbrella has served me well for the last 5 years, but I have a feeling it won't last too much longer. The other day, it turned inside out in strong wind, which it has NEVER done before. I've noticed a few interesting umbrellas and Googled them.

Totes Elements Clear Bubble Umbrella, $16.99, Target
It looks neat and seems to protect a person better than a regular umbrella, but do you think it really does? What if the clear plastic fogs up, and you won't be able to see anything?!

GustBuster SunBLOK 58" Umbrella, $39.95, luggage.com
This one is 58" across! That is huge, and believe it or not, I've seen people carry these things around the streets of NYC. While it's probably OK for a 7-foot-tall person to carry it around, for someone as short as I it's already hard to fight the crowds; I can see myself hitting multiple people with this monstrosity, which would be bad for everyone involved. I'd never get anywhere.

Frog Umbrella, $11.95, bltimports.comI saw an adult carrying this adorable number the other day. While this design is clearly better suited for children, I thought it deserved a mention for being cute.

2 comments:

  1. An umbrella is a must have! I own three of them ~ one for each car, and one for the office. I think I need that frog one next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love the frog one. Now that would definitely stand out in the streets of New York, go for it Janna!

    Growing up I had one like the first one and I love that design, it really kept me dry when I used to walk home from school.

    ReplyDelete