Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Unreasonables - How Badly do you Want to Get Paid?

Before we moved, I had a doctor's appointment. On my way out, the billing person informed me that the office would bill my insurance, and send me the balance, if any. I did not get a copy of the bill - in fact, I got nothing.

Several weeks went by, and I hadn't heard from the doctor. A day before movers were supposed to come pack up our things, I called the doctor's office to inquire about any outstanding balance. It was about 4 pm, and the office was open until 5. I explained why I was calling to the lady who answered t he phone. Here is what she replied and the rest of the conversation:

- We are in the process of backing up systems; we do that every day at the end of the day. I can't get into the computer right now to see if you have a balance. Call back tomorrow.
- I am going to be moving tomorrow. Would you please have someone call me back?
- Like I said, I can't get into the system to look up your name or anything, so you will have to call back.
- I understand that, but would it be possible for you to take a pen and a piece of paper and write down my name and phone number, and have someone return my call tomorrow?
- Uh... well, I will put you through to the billing person's voice mail. You can leave her a message, and she will call you back.

The next day, I did get a call back from the billing person. She expressed her frustration that it took her a while to figure out who I was, because all she had to go on was the name, and I didn't leave an account number or a date of birth. Imagine that! I was never given an account number, but I suppose that is besides the point.

The entire experience left me shocked. There I was calling the doctor to make sure he got paid, and his staff couldn't be bothered to pick up a pen and paper and write down my contact information. Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. That's insane! Ignorance and laziness at it's best. Sounds like you responded well, though. Good job.

    ReplyDelete