Saturday, January 9, 2010

Eat your Peas

We eat a fair amount of fruit and veggies, but we stick to the same few things, which gets boring after a while.

To branch out and try something new, I signed up for Urban Organic - a company that delivers fresh organic produce to your door! The are several box sizes; I decided that the Value Box that contains a variety of 15-18 different fruits and vegetables each week depending on seasonal availability, is a good one for starters. Customers have the option of choosing a weekly, bi-weekly or on demand delivery.

The first box arrived this week! I was so excited to get it. Here is what it contained:

BROCCOLI
SPINACH (I got a double portion - one bunch came instead of green chard)*
GREEN LEAF LETTUCE
ZUCCHINI (instead of green beans)*
CARROTS
LEMONS
RUSSET POTATOES
KIWI
VALENCIA ORANGES
TANGELOS
D’ANJOU PEARS
BANANAS
BRAEBURN APPLES
EGGPLANT

*Urban Organic makes substitutions if the quality of certain products is not up to par. This add an element of surprise to your box!

Ruby checked it out, and gave it thumbs up.


The quality is good, and we are enjoying the variety and convenience. We are working our way through the box, and already tried a new barley and lentil soup with Swiss chard with the box ingredients! (Since I did not get green chard, I used spinach instead. Delicious!) The recipe follows shortly.

I am looking forward to the next box already!

2 comments:

  1. I see my Ruby! Oh and the veggies look great too! Love the idea of fresh veggies getting delivered to my door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those colorful and delicious looking things! This is a great idea. Friends of ours belong to a similar type of program. I haven't signed up, but I should, since I love all kinds of fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete