Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What are you Reading?

I used to read a lot and often. Then all of a sudden I started reading little and seldom (even though I was supposed to be reading all day every day - that's what grad school is for, right?).

Anyway, I recently finished three books (all classics):

1. 1984 by George Orwell
This may be the only book I have ever read that does not contain one humorous sentence. Not one. Otherwise, a great book (albeit terrifying - but that was the intent).

2. This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I liked Fitzgerald's first novel much better than "The Great Gatsby". He writes beautifully - what an amazing craftsman of prose. Just delightful!

3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
A charming story about a Spanish shepherd who travels to Egypt in search of treasures, this was an easy read - I finished it in several hours. Written as a tale, this story is full of words of wisdom and various lessons.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. trail of crumbs by kim sunee. memoir. an abandoned 3 year old in a korean marketplace, she is adopted and then later travels europe. it's the story of her love affair with l'occitane founder, olivier bassaun. don't be hungry when you're reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read 1984 for a college lit class. Ugh.

    I am reading "The Road" by Cormack McCarthy. I just saw the movie and heard the book was better, and it is. I just finished "Julie and Julia". It's a fun read and I loved the movie. I seem to do everything backwards when it comes to books that get made into movies :)

    Thanks for the other recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I bought ourselves a Kindle for Christmas and I haven't got to read on it yet but I have downloaded several "samples" but haven't got to read them either. I am currently reading Dean Koontz's new book "Breathless".

    ReplyDelete