Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thursday Edibles - Chicken Curry

I am especially excited about this recipe because until a few days ago I had never made anything curry! I bought all the spices and powders in a small East Village store. I just loved looking at shelves filled with colorful ingredients! The colors and aroma are incredible. Here is what I got.

The owner of the store gave me a handful of recipes. I tried Chicken Curry first, and it was a huge hit! Can't wait to try the others! Here it is.

Ingredients
1 whole tomato
1 whole onoion
ginget and garlic paste (or fresh ginger and garlic, coarsely chopped, 2 tsp each)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp Garam masala
4 green cardamom
3-5 bay leaves or fresh curry leaves
3-5 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tbs turmeric powder
salt to taste
4-6 fresh green chilis or 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1 1/2-2 lb meat (beef, lamb, chicken) and vegetables of your choice, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut milk (optional)

Preparation
1. Combine the tomato and onion, ginger and garlic paste (or fresh ginger and garlic) and olive oil in a skillet. Stir fry until well blended. (As you can see, I chopped up my tomato and onion instead of leaving them whole.)

2. Add Garam masala, cardamom, bay leaves or fresh curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon sticks, curry powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and chilis or chili powder (optional). Stir fry for a few minutes. How pretty do all the spices look all together?!

3. Add the meat and vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add about 2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add heavy cream or coconut milk (optional) and cook for 5 more minutes on low heat or until the meat is tender. (I did not add any heavy cream or coconut milk this time). Serve with rice.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm . . . looks delicious! I am going out for Indian tonight, as a matter of fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so nice to see you try chicken curry, let me know if you need any other recipes. I use these spices on a daily basis. Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I love using curry, it adds alot of flavor. Will be trying this one for sure, thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete