Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wax Carving!

After multiple promises, I finally deliver to you a post on wax carving! Here is a little bit about the process and what I have done so far:

1. I start out with a piece of carving wax or a ring tube (to make a ring).


2. I saw, carve, file, polish and drill it into whatever I want! Here is a ring and some charms - they are my wax models that I will have cast in any metal I want. It is quite a process, and it takes several hours to carve the littlest piece. The better your wax model is, the better your cast piece will be.

3. The next step is to take the wax models to a caster. He either casts them directly in metal, or makes a mold first, then makes wax models from that mold, and casts those in metal. The mold enables him to make hundreds of the same piece! When the wax pieces are cast in silver, they vaporize in the process. That's why it is called the lost wax method.

Here is what the pieces look like when I get them back from the caster.

4. Now it's time for lots of cleaning up and finishing the pieces! I cut off the sprues, file them down, polish the pieces and give them the finish I want (whether it's a high shine, oxidation or buffing). It is quite a bit of work, but the results are stunning! The pieces are now ready for show time!

Click on the pictures, and the links will take them to the listings in my shop.

3 comments:

  1. What a great post Janna! It is truly an amazing process, much work goes into the pieces you make. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! I'm very impressed, as I don't know if I'd even be able to carve the wax into something that resembled . . . anything :)

    Your new pieces are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so cool. I'm hooked on the heart earrings! And I am so excited about your collaboration with Alison. You two are amazing!

    ReplyDelete