Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thursday Edibles - Marbled Stuffed Potatoes

As promised, Thursday Edibles is back!  Today's recipe is from October 2010 issue of Food Network magazine.  I never used to buy cooking magazines - I'd just go online and search for recipes. However, I found it difficult to search for new ideas online. If I didn't know what I wanted to make, then I didn't know what to search for! In those situations, cooking magazines are perfect!  So far, I have made five recipes from this particular magazine, and plan to make at least two more.  The below recipe (with minor modifications) was a huge hit - I will definitely be making it again!

Marbled Stuffed Potatoes
Active time: 20 min
Total time: 1 hr 35 min
Serves: 4

Ingredients
4 large russet potatoes
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

Preparation
1.  Preheat the oven to 400F.  Put the russet and sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake 30 minutes.  Pierce each potato a few times with a fork and continue to bake until tender, 15 to 20 more minutes for the sweet potato and 20 to 25 more minutes for the russet potatoes.  Let cool slightly.

2.  Peel the sweet potato.  Transfer to a bowl and mash lightly with a fork until almost smooth.  Trim a thin slice off the top of each russet potato, cutting lengthwise.  Scoop most of the flesh into another bowl, leaving the shells intact.  Add the sour cream and butter to the bowl and mash with a fork.  Stir in the scallions, 3/4 cup cheese, the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.  Gently fold in the sweet potato.


3.  Brush the potato skins with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Generously fill with the marbled potato mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.


4.  Place the stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 375F  until the cheese melts, 25 to 30 minutes.


Tips (my own, not Food Network's :))
  • For extra flavor, buy whole nutmeg and grind it right before use - the fragrance is incredible!  You will never go back to ground nutmeg.
  • Another ingredient you can add to the mixture is bacon strips, cooked and cubed.

3 comments:

  1. I love twice-baked potatoes but I never thought of combining them with sweet potatoes. What a great idea!! (beautiful pics, btw)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll definitely be trying these. steve and i used to dice white potatoes and sweet potatoes and bake them together in a casserole dish with onions, butter and garlic. they're soooo good together. thanks for the recipe! pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, these look incredible! I love potatoes. If I could eat nothing else, I could survive on potatoes for the rest of my life, I do believe.

    ReplyDelete