Marbled Stuffed Potatoes
Active time: 20 min
Total time: 1 hr 35 min
4 large russet potatoes
1 large sweet potato
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Put the russet and sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake 30 minutes. Pierce each potato a few times with a fork and continue to bake until tender, 15 to 20 more minutes for the sweet potato and 20 to 25 more minutes for the russet potatoes. Let cool slightly.
2. Peel the sweet potato. Transfer to a bowl and mash lightly with a fork until almost smooth. Trim a thin slice off the top of each russet potato, cutting lengthwise. Scoop most of the flesh into another bowl, leaving the shells intact. Add the sour cream and butter to the bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in the scallions, 3/4 cup cheese, the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold in the sweet potato.
3. Brush the potato skins with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Generously fill with the marbled potato mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
4. Place the stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 375F until the cheese melts, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips (my own, not Food Network's :))
- For extra flavor, buy whole nutmeg and grind it right before use - the fragrance is incredible! You will never go back to ground nutmeg.
- Another ingredient you can add to the mixture is bacon strips, cooked and cubed.