Saturday, July 7, 2012

Healthy Snacks - 150 Calorie Mixed Nut Packs

I recently bought a variety of nuts at a local international foods store (raw cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans) and made them into snack packs!

As I was about to make them, I happened to read an article that talked about snacking right.  According to the article, a snack should be around 150-175 calories.  I researched various nut calories and came up with an average number of 7-8 calories per nut, which means there are on average 19-20 nuts in a 150-calorie snack.

First, I mixed the nuts in a huge bowl.


Next, I divided them up into small batches - 21 nuts each.  (By the way, see the gorgeous cutting board in the two photos below?  My brother-in-law made it from scratch!  Can you believe it?  It is amazing, and one of the best presents I have ever gotten.)


Finally, I placed each batch into a small snack bag.  Voila!


I took them to work, and now reach for one when I feel that afternoon craving for a snack that's both delicious and nutritious!

1 comment: